Veneers are a terrific option to create the smile of your dreams since they are composed of a specialised material that is made to fit over the teeth. This material is durable and is made to look remarkably natural, so no one will even know they are veneers.
They are thin, tooth-coloured shells that must be bonded to the tooth's surface using cemented dental materials. Various cosmetic issues can be treated with veneers, such as chipped, cracked, discoloured, or smaller-than-average teeth.
When a tooth is cracked or chipped, some people may only need one veneer, but many people need six to eight veneers to get a uniform, symmetrical smile.
Dental veneers need extensive prep work and are often composed of porcelain or composite resin. However, "no-prep" veneers are also available and use a different application method.
Should You Get Veneers?
If you've been unhappy with how your smile looks in the mirror, you might be exploring dental veneers as a solution.
They're not the best option for teeth with significant damage. In some instances, crowns are probably a better choice. However, veneers could be a wise choice if your teeth are chipped, discoloured, fractured, or smaller than you prefer.
After the procedure is through, you can instantly begin smiling. You won't have to worry about missing a lot of work because your dental veneer surgery requires two appointments.
Types of Veneers
The most aesthetically pleasing and safest material for dental restorations is porcelain. Of all the veneer materials, it is the toughest and most durable.
Because porcelain laminate veneers are highly biocompatible, they rarely cause harm to the soft tissues that surround the gums and other oral tissues. Because porcelain has a very natural appearance, these veneers can dramatically enhance the look of your smile.
The insertion of porcelain veneers necessitates some tooth shaving.
Composite resin, a blend of organic and inorganic components, is used to create composite veneers. The coupling agent, resin, and the initiator are the natural components, while the filler is the inorganic component.
Veneers made of composite are less expensive than those made of porcelain. Although they blend in reasonably well with your natural tooth colour, they do not last as long and are susceptible to stains.
These veneers also require some tooth shaving before application.
Are Veneers Permanent?
Veneers may be composed of strong dental materials that are bonded together, but they are not indestructible. With regular maintenance, porcelain veneers should last between 10 to 15 years. Factors that contribute to the lifespan of your veneers include:
- Your teeth's condition before placement. Some dentists believe that the condition of your teeth before having a veneer can affect how long it lasts.
- Veneer type. Composite veneers are less durable than porcelain and no-prep veneers.
- Your oral health. Maintaining good dental hygiene is essential. Regular flossing and twice-daily brushing are necessary for extending the life of veneers. Additionally, you should attend regular dental exams and have cleanings every six months.
- Mouth protection. Wear a mouthguard if you play a contact sport to prevent your veneers from breaking or chipping.
Veneers may require cosmetic repair or a complete replacement, depending on the type of wear or damage they sustain. It’s your responsibility to take care of them to maximise their lifespan.
What can reduce the lifespan of your veneers? The same ones that can harm your natural teeth!
- Avoid chewing on hard things like ice, pencils, or your fingernails.
- Never open packages with your teeth.
- Avoid using your front teeth while chewing. Eat tougher meals only with your back teeth; chop tough items into smaller pieces to make this easier.
- Wear a retainer at night if you are grinding or clenching your teeth
Learn More About Veneers in NE Calgary
The greatest way to get the smile you want might be with veneers, but they still require regular maintenance. Using them as an excuse to forego practicing good dental hygiene could result in costly repairs or coverings that deteriorate prematurely.
How durable are veneers? If you take good care of them, you can use them for more than ten years. Book an appointment with Skypointe Dental today to discuss your options to create the smile you want.